zondag 28 december 2008

My first encounter with the world of science fiction

When I was very very young, sometime in the mid-70's, I had what I'm sure must have been my first encounter with the wonderful world of science fiction. A British-Italian TV series called Space: 1999 was shown on TV.

I didn't understand English yet (my native language is Dutch) and I couldn't read yet - I was THAT young - so I only had a vague idea about what was going on, but most of the times it wasn't too hard to figure out.

What blew me away were the visuals and the atmosphere, which Space: 1999 had plenty of. Excitement, horror - some of the episodes were pretty darn scary especially if you're a young kid.

But I was sold! And in the years that would follow I would encoounter many other TV shows and movies. But that's for another post. :-)

1 opmerking:

  1. I loved Space 1999, and thankfully it was filmed on film stock, and has since been transferred to HD and the ITV test channel showed many of them again last year in fabulous HS, making them even more impressive for their age and limited budget. Gerry Anderson's decade of experience with miniature models and trying to make them look substantial and realistic came to fruition with this series.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen